In the Portfolio Practicum course, Heider College of Business seniors have the opportunity to invest more than $8 million of Creighton University endowment funds. Student managers are responsible for managing the Creighton University Student Portfolio (CUSP Fund), and are held to the same level of accountability as outside managers by the University Investment Committee.
Students use our state-of-the-art Heider Securities Investment and Analysis Center. Modeled after the New York Stock Exchange, it features:
- 10 Bloomberg terminals
- 42-foot premium LED ticker display
- Three 110-inch, fully interactive video walls
- 6-zone world clock
Students apply for the two-semester Portfolio Practicum, in the spring semester. The course addresses the following topics:
- Equity research and valuation techniques
- Performance evaluation of the CUSP Fund holdings
- Portfolio construction and management
- Presentation of investment recommendations and strategies
- The discussion of current investment management techniques, strategies, and issues
After completing the two-semester course, students interview the next practicum applicants and pass the portfolio to them.
View the 2019-20 Portfolio Practicum Report here:
To apply for the FIN 435 Portfolio Practicum course, please submit the following by Friday, February 28, 2020, todaphnemcdowell [at] creighton [dot] edu ( Daphne McDowell), Economics and Finance department secretary, on the Fourth Floor of the Harper Center:
- A one-page personal resume that includes your grade point average, work experience, investment experience and whatever other experiences you feel qualify you for this class. You may break your grade point down into areas, such as cumulative, in Finance, in the Heider College of Business or the last year. Feel free to add any insights about your grade point.
- A one-page paper providing the reasons you want to take the course.
- Print out and complete this cover letter, providing your name, phone number, email address and the semester you took FIN 325. You will need to have the cover letter signed by a Heider College of Business faculty member from whom you have taken a class.
- A finance professor and several members of the current portfolio class will interview you prior to your acceptance into the course.
- You will need to select an interview time on the signup sheet, which will be available in the Economics and Finance department main office on the 4th floor of the Harper Center.
- You will be notified via e-mail by mid-March with details regarding the interview.
By the end of March, you will be notified by e-mail whether you were accepted into the class. If accepted, you will be granted an override that will allow you to register for the class.
If you have any questions about the application process or the Portfolio Practicum course, please feel free to contact Dr. Gerald Jensen in Harper 3017A or by email at geraldjensen [at] creighton [dot] edu.