In the Portfolio Practicum, Heider College of Business seniors invest more than $6 million of Creighton University endowment funds. The student managers are held to the same level of accountability as other outside managers and must share their investment decisions with the University Investment Committee.
Students use our state-of-the-art Heider Securities Investment and Analysis Center. Modeled after the New York Stock Exchange, it features:
- 11 Bloomberg terminals
- 42-foot premium LED ticker display
- Three 110-inch, fully interactive video walls
- 6-zone world clock
Students must apply for the two-semester Portfolio Practicum, in the spring semester. The course addresses the following topics:
- Equity research and valuation techniques
- The evaluation of existing stocks in the portfolio
- Portfolio construction and management
- Presentation of investment recommendations and strategies
- The discussion of current investment management techniques, strategies, and issues
After completing the two-semester course, students interview the next practicum applicants and pass down the portfolio to them.
View the 2014/2015 Portfolio Practicum report here.
To apply for FIN 435, Portfolio Practicum, please submit the following by Friday, March 3, 2017, todaphnemcdowell [at] creighton [dot] edu ( Daphne McDowell), Economics and Finance department secretary, on the Fourth Floor of the Harper Center:
- A one-page personal resume that includes your grade point average, work experience, investment experience and whatever other experiences you feel would qualify you for this class. You may break your grade point down into areas, such as cumulative, in Finance, in the Heider College of Business or the last year. Feel free to add any insights about your grade point.
- A one-page paper providing the reasons you want to take the course.
- Print out and complete this cover letter, providing your name, phone number, email address and the semester you took FIN 325. You will need to have the cover letter signed by a Heider College of Business faculty member from whom you have taken a class.
- A finance professor and several members of the current portfolio class will interview you prior to your acceptance into the course.
- You will need to select an interview time on the signup sheet, which will be available in the Economics and Finance department main office on the 4th floor of the Harper Center.
- You will be notified via e-mail by mid-March with details regarding the interview.
By the end of March, you will be notified by e-mail whether you were accepted into the class. If accepted, you must pick up a signed override form in the department office. The override form is required to allow you to register for the class.
If you have any questions about the application process or the Portfolio Practicum Course, please feel free to contact Dr. Jensen in Harper 3017A or by email at GeraldJensen [at] creighton [dot] edu.