Executive Healthcare MBA (Master of Business Administration)
Other Programs Available
The Executive Master of Business Administration in Healthcare Management program offers a flexible, accessible, credible and relevant graduate degree. The program is designed for adult learners who seek the quality, rigor and reputation of a Jesuit, values-centered liberal arts education.
You’ll join a rich, multidisciplinary cohort in a learning environment that combines online and residency-based experiences and coursework. Specifically tailored to busy, working physicians and healthcare executives, the hybrid format attracts mid-career, full-time working students. Through an immersive learning experience, you’ll learn to excel in the management of a health system, hospital, physician practice, department or other healthcare organization.
The program has a robust and credible curriculum, designed around two of the most well-respected professional associations in the healthcare industry: the American College of Healthcare Executives and the American Association for Physician Leadership. Students completing the Creighton University Heider College of Business Executive Healthcare MBA program will be well-prepared to complete either organization’s respective certification exam processes.
Program Format and Delivery
A rigorous, accelerated program, the Executive MBA in Healthcare Management is offered in a flexible, cohort-based, hybrid format designed in the following structure:
- 18 months
- 45 credit hours
- Four, four-day on-campus residencies
This program is for physicians or mid-career healthcare executives who wish to acquire a graduate degree in healthcare administration to advance their understanding and preparedness to perform at a high level. Ideal students for this programs include clinicians who manage departments, physicians who aspire to departmental or organizational leadership, are serving on organizational leadership committees, or manage private practices or other entrepreneurial ventures. Additionally, healthcare administrators who desire to expand their knowledge base and academic preparation, or advance to higher levels of career rank will find this program appealing.
Creighton’s Executive Healthcare MBA program offers a rigorous, healthcare specific, cohort-based learning environment that has been custom-built for physicians, advanced clinicians and healthcare leaders.
- Disciplinary knowledge and behavior essential for healthcare leadership
- Advanced business concepts to make intelligent decisions in a healthcare organization
- The relationships between personal values, professional obligations and social responsibilities
- Effective leadership skills in a collaborative, team environment
- Professional communication skills
The curriculum consists of 45 credit hours, which includes the following:
- Executive Leadership and Organizational Behavior
- Strategy for Healthcare Organizations
- Introduction to Healthcare Management (retitled from MBA 780)
- Quality and Performance Improvement in Healthcare
- Finance for the Healthcare Manager
- Healthcare Marketing
- Management of Human Resources in Healthcare (new course)
- Legal and Ethical Considerations in Healthcare Management (revised from MBA 781)
- Healthcare Accounting
- Health Policy and Economics
- Information Systems and Data Analytics in Healthcare
- Quantitative Methods and Evidence Based Decision Making in Healthcare Management (new)
- Independent Study | Elective
Applicants must meet the admission requirements of the Heider College of Business MBA program, including:
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field from a regionally accredited college or university OR a terminal degree in medicine or another advanced clinical discipline
- Minimum of five years of management experience or clinical practice in a healthcare organization
- Undergraduate or professional school GPA of at least 3.0
- Official transcripts from all educational institutions attended
- Current resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of purpose and professional aspiration (2-3 pages, double-spaced) outlining the reasons for applying for admission, professional goals and intended utilization of degree
- Three professional letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant’s academic background, professional achievements and personal qualities
- Minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based) or 80 (internet-based) for students for whom English is not their first language
- Proof of regular access to the technology needed to take online courses
- Evidence of the ability to pay for the program (typically a FAFSA)
This 18-month program costs $50,000 total ($1,111 per credit hour). This fee includes all tuition, class materials, software, textbooks, and most meals during residencies, University fee and University technology fee.
You can continue working while completing this degree program. Much of your coursework is online, with scheduled on-campus residencies to build networking opportunities and receive hands-on guidance. Financial aid is available through Creighton’s Financial Aid Office.