Chemistry (BS and BSChm)
Chemistry is referred to as the central science. It makes an excellent foundation for the health professions, research, industry, education and more. Creighton University offers you a Bachelor of Science (BS) in chemistry or a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry (BSChm).
The BSChm degree allows you to specialize in chemistry or biochemistry. The BS can include training in chemistry education if you are interested in teaching. Creighton’s BSChm program is endorsed and certified by the American Chemical Society (ACS).
Creighton averages 30 graduates in chemistry each year, more than many larger schools, and chemistry majors enjoy close student-faculty collaboration in the classroom as well as abundant opportunities for undergraduate research.
Creighton chemistry majors are particularly successful in attaining desirable jobs, graduate stipends and admission to graduate and professional schools.
Approximately one-third of Creighton chemistry majors go directly to a health professional school in such fields as medicine, dentistry or pharmacy. Another one-third enroll in PhD programs in chemistry or chemistry-related (biochemistry, chemical engineering, environmental science) disciplines. The remaining one-third participate in organized volunteer programs (JVC, Peace Corps, Teach for America), obtain employment in chemistry-related fields, or enroll in MBA or JD programs.
The chemistry job market has been and remains very good.
Recent graduates have taken employment with firms including:
- Alegent Creighton Health (CHI Health)
- Midwest Laboratories
- Boys Town National Research Hospital
- Teach for America
- American Red Cross
- Integrated DNA Technologies
- The Retina Group
- Henry Jackson Foundation
Recent graduates have pursued graduate or professional degrees at institutions including:
- University of North Carolina
- University of Tennessee College of Pharmacy
- Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
- University of Massachusetts
- University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Washington University
- Northwestern University Feinberg College of Medicine
- Purdue University
- Duke University
- University of Notre Dame
- Yale School of Medicine
BS has two tracks: Generalist Track or Chemistry Education Track
BSChm has two tracks: Biochemistry Track or Chemistry Track
- The ability to problem solve in unique and creative ways, utilizing both team-based and independent learning.
- An understanding of chemistry that is highly regarded by employers and graduate and health professions schools.
- Exposure to Creighton’s four health professions schools—dentistry, nursing, medicine and pharmacy and health professions—which are all located on one walkable campus and provide great opportunities for research.
- The ins and outs of faculty-mentored research, including opportunities to be published in scientific journals and present at national meetings.
- Chemistry Club
The Chemistry Club offers extra-curricular activities and networking with faculty and other students. It also provides members opportunities to be student teachers/teaching assistants and volunteer with activities for area high school and grade school students, including Chemistry Field Day, the Musichemical Melodious Manifestation and Chem Demo Show.
Most Creighton chemistry majors perform research with faculty mentors. Many do research during the academic year in the labs of the chemistry faculty, while others work in laboratories of chemical scientists in other physical science departments of the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Medicine and the School of Pharmacy and Health Professions.
In addition, other Omaha-area opportunities for undergraduate research include programs at the University of Nebraska Medical Center and the Omaha Veterans Administration Medical Center. Some students choose a summer research experience at Creighton or in programs hosted by National Science Foundation-funded colleges and universities across the country.