Student-Managed Investment Portfolio Receives Official Name
Student-Managed Investment Portfolio Receives Official Name

Portfolio Practicum Class Names Student-Managed Fund

In November 2016, the Portfolio Practicum Team christened the previously nameless Creighton student managed portfolio. The student-managed fund was started in 1992 with $100,000, and has since gone without a formal name, usually being called The Portfolio Practicum Student Managed Fund. The Portfolio Practicum Class consists of 20 student managers and serves as the capstone class for Financial Analysis majors.

Consisting of over $5.6 million (the most of all Jesuit Universities), the fund’s holdings are diversified among domestic large cap core equities. Student managers are assigned sectors and are responsible for tracking developments within their assigned sector, evaluating the performance of the stocks in their sector, and making recommendations for changes to sector composition. Given the nature of the fund, it is benchmarked against the Russell 1000. The fund currently holds 39 stocks distributed across nine different sectors. The current student management team felt that the growth and success of the portfolio over the past 25 years warranted the adoption of a formal name for the fund.

After extensive class discussion, the team decided on the following name: the Creighton University Student Portfolio, or CUSP Fund for short. The term “cusp” represents a point of transition such as the transition from one time period to the next or a turning point in a progression. Because the purpose of the Portfolio Practicum Class is to prepare seniors for the investment world, the team has drawn a parallel to how senior student managers are preparing to exit the academic arena and move into the professional environment. In a classroom environment, the team is presented with significant responsibility and exposed to professional processes commonly implemented by professional investment managers. These parallels led the team to believe the name CUSP to be appropriate, and the new name was approved by Creighton on November 14th, 2016.