- Financial Accounting Reporting
- Assistant Professor
Sijing looks forward to continuing her education, though more informally, by learning from the accounting department’s seasoned professors. But she is also excited to be in front of students in her own classroom and guide them in their academic formation. She admits that learning accounting can be “a painful experience,” and she pushes her students to excel academically, knowing the intrinsic reward of success. Yet, she is also their biggest supporter, taking concerted effort to get to know them as individuals. Sijing requests feedback after classes to check for student comprehension, and she encourages students to visit during office hours or after class.
In addition to helping her students grow “as whole persons,” Sijing is dedicated to adding to the body of accounting research. She has presented her dissertation and several working papers at many accounting annual and regional conferences. Her particular areas of interest are information as it pertains to voluntary disclosures, information transparency, textual analysis (MD&A of annual reports and earnings conference call), corporate social responsibility (CSR), corporate reputation.
Beginning her career at Creighton is the “best choice I ever made in my life,” says Sijing, who finds the people here to be “abnormally nice” compared to either coast. “Being in the hallways, surrounded by teachers and students, balancing research and student interaction – I’ve found that perfect home.”
- American Accounting Association Mid-West Regional Conference, Chicago, 2017, 2017
- American Accounting Association Annual Meeting, San Diego, 2017 , 2017
- American Accounting Association Mid-West Regional Conference, Chicago, 2016, 2016
- American Accounting Association NorthEast Regional Conference, Boston, 2016, 2016
Research and Scholarship Interests
- Voluntary Disclosure, Information Transparency, Product Market, Earnings Management, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Stakeholders, Corporate Reputation, Corporate Governance
Current Research Projects
- Textual Analysis (MD&A of Annual Report and Earnings Confernece Call), Voluntary Disclosure, CEO networks, CSR
- Robert H. Smith School of Business Top 10% Distinguished Teaching Award, Smith School of Business, University of Maryland , 2016
- Robert H. Smith School of Business Top 10% Distinguished Teaching Award, Smith School of Business, University of Maryland , 2017