Youth Leadership Omaha is an interactive leadership development program which informs, motivates and increases the awareness of selected high school sophomores through issue-oriented seminars and interaction with community decision-makers. This program is a dedicated investment in the Omaha community’s future leadership.
YLO is a mirror program of the adult Leadership Omaha Program, which is offered through the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce. In 1992, the Heider College of Business adopted the program from the Omaha Chamber, and the program is now led by a team of Heider students, who are studying leadership in the Anna Tyler Waite Leadership Program. Each year, the annual program brings together a diverse group of 40 participants to examine their schools, neighborhoods, ethnicities, faiths, leadership skills and life experiences in a forum that allows for the free exchange of ideas, information and advice.
Participants interact Heider students, as well as established local leaders in business, government, media, social services and the arts. They learn how the city works and how they can make a difference.
2018 - 2019 Tentative Calendar of Events:
- September 17 - Applications Due
- October 22 - Orientation for students & parents (7:00 p.m. at Creighton University, Harper Center, Ballroom)
- November 2-3 - Opening Retreat (Nov. 2, 4:30 p.m. to Nov. 3, 3:00 p.m.), 4-H Camp in Gretna, NE
- November 13 - Seminar 1: Omaha Growth & Development Tour
- December 5 - Seminar 2: Health & Human Services Seminar
- January 22 - Seminar 3: Justice & Government Seminar
- February 20 - Seminar 4: Media & Arts Seminar
- March 5 - Seminar 5: Business, Technology, & Education Seminar
- March 29-30 - Closing Retreat (March 29, 4:30 p.m. to March 30, 3:00 p.m.), 4-H Camp in Gretna, NE
- April 2 - (7:00 p.m. at Creighton University, Harper Center Ballroom)
Upon completion of the program, graduates are eligible to join the alumni organization; the Youth Leadership Omaha Ambassadors. The YLO Ambassadors foster change in our schools, churches, synagogues, and city. The program also provides you with additional opportunities to serve our community through volunteer service oriented projects.
Applications are required. For further information, contact Charisse Williams: 402.280.2344 or cwilliams [at] creighton [dot] edu