Youth Leadership Omaha is an interactive leadership development program which informs, motivates and increases the awareness of selected high school sophomores through issue-oriented seminars and interaction with community decision-makers. This program is a dedicated investment in the Omaha community’s future leadership.
Since its inception in 1992, the annual program has brought together a diverse group of 40 participants each year to examine their schools, neighborhoods, ethnicities, faiths, leadership skills and life experiences in a forum that allows for the free exchange of ideas, information and advice.
Supported by the Heider College of Business, the Anna Tyler Waite Leadership Program, and community volunteers, student participants meet with leaders from business, government, media, social services and the arts. They learn how the city works and how they can make a difference.
2018 Tentative Calendar of Events:
- September 17 - Applications Due
- October 22 - Orientation for students & parents (7:00 p.m. at Creighton University, Harper Center, Ballroom)
- November 2-3 - Opening Retreat (Nov. 2, 4:30 p.m. to Nov. 3, 3:00 p.m.), 4-H Camp in Gretna, NE
- November 13 - Seminar 1: Omaha Growth & Development Tour
- December 5 - Seminar 2: Health & Human Services Seminar
- January 22 - Seminar 3: Justice & Government Seminar
- February 20 - Seminar 4: Media & Arts Seminar
- March 20 - Seminar 5: Business, Technology, & Education Seminar
- March 29-30 - Closing Retreat (March 29, 4:30 p.m. to March 30, 3:00 p.m.), 4-H Camp in Gretna, NE
- April 2 - (7:00 p.m. at Creighton University, Harper Center Ballroom)
Upon completion of the program, graduates are eligible to join the alumni organization; the Youth Leadership Omaha Ambassadors. The YLO Ambassadors foster change in our schools, churches, synagogues, and city. The program also provides you with additional opportunities to serve our community through volunteer service oriented projects.
Applications are required. For further information, contact Charisse Williams: 402.280.2344 or cwilliams [at] creighton [dot] edu